Sunday, January 5, 2020

The Importance of Celebrating Yourself



Happy new year everyone.

As we enter a new year and a new decade, I’ve been taking time to reflect on the last year and the last decade. It seems as if I’m at that point where I can think in decades now. When did that happen?

Perhaps, if you’re like me, you can be hard on yourself sometimes. At times, my mind tends to focus on the things I haven’t done, or want to still do. Do you do the same? Naturally, I tend to overlook and forget about all of the amazing things that have happened over the last year and last decade.

It’s a mistake.

Problematic, in fact. Focussing on the future instead of honouring your present is a quick road to misery. It’s often said that desire is the cause of suffering. In that same vain, constantly looking ahead without taking in your present keeps you from appreciating all you already have.

Ten years is a long time and a lot has happened. When I allow myself to think about it, it’s been a pretty amazing last decade.

I was a resident ten years ago at this time. I had no idea where I’d be today. Now I’m a long experienced staff with the grey hairs (and no hairs) to show for it. I’ve been all around the world and fulfilled a life dream to make international work a part of my life. Lived in some great cities (London, Calgary, Toronto) and worked in some amazing contexts (Yemen, South Sudan, Ethiopia). I’ve loved, I’ve laughed, I’ve lost, I’ve learned. I’ve grown up in so many ways.

But despite all of that my mind tends to focus ahead. On what I’m missing and what’s next.

I understand that and I’d like to consciously change it. I’m usually not a big fan of resolutions, but this year I did resolve a couple of things. Last year was very goal based and I set myself a whole bunch of personal and professional goals. Some I accomplished (I started a blog experiment!), and some I didn’t, and that’s okay. I certainly figured a few things out a lot along the way.

Upon reflection, I realized that I’ve been too outcome driven. It’s good to have goals, but I can be a bit too strive-y and can focus too much on what I want to achieve instead of the process.

For more information please visit: 
https://www.mdhealthyself.com/the-importance-of-celebrating-yourself

No comments:

Post a Comment