Monday, January 27, 2020

What The ER has Taught Me About Life


The emergency room is an interesting place to work. It’s controlled chaos. Walk through the hallways and you’ll hear people screaming, see others crying, and others wincing in pain.

Certainly, my views have broadened and I’ve learnt a few lessons along the way.

So, with that, here are a few things I’ve learned.

1. Life is short

The big one. I’m sure we’ve all contemplated this before, but when you work in the ER, you’re reminded of this constantly. Everything can be going along smoothly when all of a sudden that passing car comes and it’s game over. Or you wake up one morning and that aneursym ruptures, or that MI suddenly drops you down. I’ve seen that far too often.

 2. Don’t put things off.

Things can be going along smoothly for us when all of a sudden an injury or illness comes along and changes everything.

Sometimes I think I should buckle down now and pick up those extra shifts. Work hard and save and sacrifice for a better tomorrow. This is certainly the culture that I was brought up with. But I’m constantly reminded that the future is never guaranteed.

3. Kindness matters

Receiving an act of kindness is amazing. When you’re working late at night, dealing with difficult people when you’d rather be at home, or in bed, someone giving you a genuine “thank you” can truly make the difference in your shift. Think about how good it feels to be appreciated for what you do.



It’s important to have that perspective. What we often think matters to us now, in the end, won’t be important at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment