Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Why You Need to Step Out of Your Comfort Zone




What’s keeping you from living the life you want?

When you look down deep is there something holding you back? Keeping you from taking risks and breaking through barriers? Is there a resistance? A feeling deep down inside that you can’t shake? What is it? Is it fear? Shame? Doubt? Guilt?

You’re not alone. I certainly have my share of “blockages.”

These are areas in my life where I often meet up with an anxiety around change. It comes up frequently in new personal relationships, and new social situations, for instance. There are times when I hold myself back from taking risks for fear of failure or embarrassment.

Yet in other areas in my life, I thrive in uncertainty.

I’m an ER doctor. My job entails being prepared for the unknown. Literally anything can come through the door and I’m expected to react skillfully in these situations.

And you know what? I’m able to manage the majority of these situations without feeling a great deal of stress or anxiety. Calm in the midst of chaos. No problem. I’ve got crazy some stories too…..believe me. Often times, people ask me how I’m able to remain so composed in the face of what appears to be a very stressful situation.

The answer is easy. 

It wasn’t always that way at work. I remember being early in my training and incredibly hesitant to step into acute care situations. I found them terrifying.

What if I make a mistake? Maybe I don’t know what I’m doing? Could I hurt someone?

However, through training and repeated exposure to that discomfort it dissolved and faded away. Slowly. And that’s the same experience of my colleagues.

For more information please visit: https://www.mdhealthyself.com/why-you-need-to-step-out-of-your-comfort-zone

No comments:

Post a Comment