Monday, December 23, 2019

What You Can Learn from The Happiest Man in Bermuda




In 2012, I went to visit a friend who was doing a six-month locum on the island of Bermuda. Now, doing a locum on a tropical island during a Canadian winter is probably it’s own recipe for happiness. But to my surprise, I discovered something else in Bermuda that has inspired me ever since.

While asking my friend for things to see, one of the first suggestions was to try and see Johnny Barnes.

“Who?” I asked.

“You’ll understand when you see him…trust me”, I was told.

He was described to me as an elderly man who wakes up every morning to stand at a roundabout to wave at the passing cars to tell them “I love you” and to “have a great day”. And he’d been doing it every day for years!

It was this little, beautiful, joyful thing for all involved. I had to admit, it instantly elevated my mood and put a smile on my face. Years later, it’s still one of the most memorable things from my trip.

So I had to read a little bit more about Johnny. Apparently he spent six hours a day, for thirty years standing at this roundabout, for free, in order to brighten people’s day. And the act impacted him as well. He was known as “Mr. Happy Man”, and was considered one of the happiest people on the island.

The man was also beloved on the island of Bermuda. So much so, that a statue was erected in his honour.

Thinking about Johnny a little deeper. There’s a lot that Johnny was doing that each of us can implement to affect our own happiness. Without having to stand on a roundabout.

For more information please visit: https://www.mdhealthyself.com/lessons-from-the-happiest-man-in-bermuda

No comments:

Post a Comment