Monday, December 2, 2019

Do Traumatic Events at Work Impact Our Psychological Well-Being?

                


                           “Could you tell me about a time when an event at work has continued to play on you mind after the shift is over?”


We’ve all got a story or two.

It happens to most of us at some point. Sometimes your work follows you home. A mentor once said that if it hasn’t happened to you in the emergency room, then you simply haven’t worked long enough.

I’ll share a story of mine. Nearing the end of a long night shift. A man in his 50’s, healthy, complaining of chest “burning” that he fully attributed to “heartburn”. This was my first year in practice and a busy night in the ER.

His wife had made him come in and he was seen a week before for the same symptoms. He looked comfortable, had a normal ECG, normal labs and a cardiology appointment in a day and a half. He really wanted to leave. There was a feeling that I should speak to someone about him, a nagging voice, but it was 5 am, I assumed that my colleagues wouldn’t want to see him. Should I call them at 5 am for this? In the end, I sent him home.

I went home shortly after, and when I woke up. I got an email from a colleague.

“Hey man, that guy you sent home came back a couple hours later and had a cardiac arrest in the waiting room. We got him back and he went to the cath lab. Just thought you should know.”
Everything stopped.

It was once of the worst feelings I’ve ever had. An instant “oh my god!” moment.

I dropped everything. Drove straight to the hospital. Made sure the patient was still alive with my own eyes. Apologized profusely. Berated myself endlessly.

And I didn’t sleep properly for the next month. Playing the case over and over in my mind.

For more information please visit:  
https://www.mdhealthyself.com/do-traumatic-events-at-work-impact-our-psychological-well-being

No comments:

Post a Comment