Thursday, November 21, 2019

A Regular Dose of Nature as Medicine




I’m currently sitting out by a lake. In a little cabin tucked away in the mountains of Vermont. My own little personal retreat. In the background, the sun is setting over the hills and the sky is a warm hue of orange. As I gaze at the scene behind me I am overtaken with a sense of awe and ease. I feel quiet, calm and rested sitting out here in nature, just being with myself for a little while. It’s quite a reprieve from the chaos of an emergency room.

I feel deeply connected to the natural world. Why do many of us feel such a strong connection when we’re in this space? Well, although this is an opinion, I really think that there is an actual connection. From an evolutionary standpoint we are all connected in some way. Over the millennia, we have grown biologically distinct, but perhaps there is still some sort of deep connectivity there. These trees over here, well on some level, are my relatives. (I know how crazy that sounds)

At least, that’s what it feels like. It’s like the same feeling I have when I’m see members of my family that I haven’t seen in a long while. There’s some sort of feeling deep down inside. Of gratitude, happiness, and peacefulness borne of connection and it feels to me like a real thing.

What is “connection” anyway? It is anything more than a feeling or a mental state? A deep visceral feeling that comes up when I’m around certain things that seems to have importance to me. Does that come from the electrical impulses of a few neurons, an intellectual understanding, or from something beyond? No one really knows. But it certainly is heartening to think of us as deep interconnected beings just living our lives in this world together. Certainly makes walking in the park a heck of a lot more fun!

For more information please visit: 
https://www.mdhealthyself.com/why-trees-make-you-happier

No comments:

Post a Comment